Engine Shed commissioned High Tech Bristol & Bath CIC (“HBB”) to put together a bid to the Digital Catapult in 2016, that brought together HBB, UWE, LoRaWan Bristol, The University of Bristol and SETsquared Bristol, to run a programme to create a testbed, with training and SME support, around LPWAN technology.
Details of the programme are here.
This programme was worth £30k from Digital Catapult, followed by a 2nd phase of £15k, and 15 IoT startups were supported in the process. Engine Shed’s investment was £1k.
Phase 2 completed in early 2019.
The national IoTUK Boost programme is designed to support the development of IoT enabled products, services, and applications from UK SMEs and entrepreneurs. We are supporting the IoT cluster around Bristol & Bath, and as part of this programme, we are able to offer 12 month virtual memberships for 10 IoT-related SMEs.
SETsquared has been recognised as the global leader in delivering university-led business incubation. The benefits on offer to IoTUK Boost companies include:
- coaching – two experienced Entrepreneur in Residence specialising in technology-focused business development
- mentoring – SMEs will be able to choose a mentor from our network who is a right fit for their business
- advisor in residence clinics (professional service firms and services)
- extensive workshop programme
- investor readiness training
- events (including investment showcase)
- business review panels
- supportive community
- representation on website
- access to our extended community and global network (investors and corporates)
- reception service
- access to Engine Shed Business Lounge
This represents a fantastic offer to any small to medium sized firm thinking of accelerating their IoT product or service.
Application process for IoTUK Boost Entrepreneurship Support
The diagram below shows the anticipated application route in solid orange, with dashed lines showing the options.